Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Butterfly

The Butterfly
The last, the very last, 
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow. 
Perhaps if the sun's tears would sing 
against a white stone…

Such, such a yellow 
Is carried lightly ‘‘way up high. 
It went away I'm sure because it wished to 
kiss the world goodbye.

For seven weeks I've lived in here, 
Penned up inside this ghetto 
But I have found my people here. 
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut candles in the court. 
Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one. 
Butterflies don't live in here, 
In the ghetto.


-Pavel Friedmann 4.6.1942

4 comments:

  1. I like this poem becuase it is like the book and is about freedom. It has rhythm and rhyme and it's a little bit sad. The words are so special, because of the mean things that are said in the book, and their people had such sad hard lives. They had to make do with little food and really bad conditions. It makes me thankful for the things that I have today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agreed whit you Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was very sad how they went trow alot of things

    ReplyDelete